Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Debt

My mouth was open for over three hours yesterday.

A couple of years ago I fell of the rooftop of a building. Fine, I jumped. I thought it would be fun, and having been given the instructions on how to fall onto the pile of sand (bend your knees!!!) I stepped off the edge. I bent my knees alright; and the right one hit me right on my chin. Eight teeth broken later and a piece of my tongue missing, I promised I would not do it again. Figures... first time I yield to peer pressure, I am already in my twenties.

So two years later, I am still paying a good price for 1 1/2 seconds of "fun". I had a dentist appointment today..no. I had a butcher's appointment yesterday. I have been to many a dentist lately, and I never wanted to cry so bad as I did yesterday, even when they were only taking X-rays. But anyway... almost four hours later, and a root canal more I stumble towards the front desk.

"Ready?" (The secretary starts printing a bill.)
'I would like to be billed, please"
"Uh, sorry sweetheart, we'd rather you'd pay right now"

I stare at my two inch square purse.
"I'm sorry, my husband called earlier, he let you know we wished to be billed."
'He did not mentioned that, no. You COULD pay iin two days when you come back to be tortured some more" (ok, ok, she did not say the last part, but she thought it).

"uh, ok... how much would that be? So that I can figure out how to pay for it."
"It will be around 1,200 dollars, honey, maybe a little more."

My question is... did she really think I was carrying that much money in my 2x2 denim purse? Maybe she realized that, since I had two last names, I would probably have some drug-dealing relatives in Southamerica willling to pay for it.

I have been worried since then. We are newlyweds, and though, we don't lack anything, that kind of money needs planning (and praying). But, silly me... that's what credit cards are for!!!

I try to tell myself to look around and see what people buy with their credit cards. Stuff; just stuff. I guess teeth are a bit more important. Still, my hubby could have gotten a big arse TV with that money! Still, it's kind of nice to know that he would rather I have teeth for years to come, than having the trophy TV.. at least I think he does.

4 Comments:

Blogger SirPatrick said...

funny you mention the TV because last night I made a final decision on my feelings about a big-arse TV.

I know a TV never something that is a 'need', but being the movie lover I am the thought of watching our library of DVDs on the 'big screen' would often circle in my mind. I realized (nothing at all to do with our debt) that I really don't want a big TV. In our house we couldn't realistically have a TV larger than 32 inches anyway and the 27 incher is plenty for now. I am very happy with our TV has a clearer (in my mind) picture than most of those big-arse TVs out there anyway. So for me, I'll be glad to wait to buy a 32 incher when this one craps out in about 10 years, or when we have an extra $1000 laying around... whichever comes first ;)

5:24 PM  
Blogger Ministry of Silly Walks said...

You could sell the scarf I gave you... in 50 years it'll cost a fortune

4:59 PM  
Blogger Celestissima said...

I would rather the TV than your smile, good for you im not your husband.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Guendi said...

Mendiga Shelle...jajaja! Y me decias que yo era el "guey" :P

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter